An alternative version of the Library Annual Review has been produced, in infographic format.
The Library’s Annual Review of activities for 2019 is now available.
A list of New Titles and New Editions received by the Library between October and December 2019 has just been published.
Barristers can use the Law Society Library from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. on Thursday 2 and Friday 3 January 2020. Please email or phone (020 7320 5946) the Library first to arrange a security pass and if possible let them know which resource(s) you wish to refer to.
The Library will close for Christmas at 2.00 p.m. on Friday 20 December and reopen at 9.00 a.m. on Monday 6 January 2020. This calendar gives the opening hours of all four Inn Libraries over the Christmas vacation.
“The temporary library is a wonderful place to work. There is tons of room, so you can spread your papers far and wide; the library is flooded with natural light; and most importantly it is beautifully quiet. Also, if you find yourself lost in the maze of books, or stuck with a difficult legal problem, the library staff are always on hand to save the day.” Student
“Excellent space, light, bright and quiet. All the books I need also.” Out of London Student
“The temporary library is a superb place to work: absolutely quiet, airy, temperature controlled, plenty of table space; and well stocked with text-books, law reports, photocopying and digital facilities. I know: I have worked there three times already.” Inner Temple Bencher
“Very grateful to you for maintaining access to Singapore case law.” Barrister
“Looking for a text I found my quarry with no trouble at all and of course with the assistance of kindly staff that I am glad to see remain despite the recent seismic changes. The library is fine; cleverly laid out and comfortable (in terms of ambient temperature and light quality). … I shall certainly avail of its amenities from hereon in …” Barrister
“…Thank you for having the old textbooks available in the temporary library…” Barrister
“…You’ve decamped in style I must say! It is a privilege to use the Library once again. It is funny how many things you have kept the same: e.g. current awareness, odd table here and there. What an institution you are!” Barrister
“Excellent librarians, extremely grateful for the assistance.” Student
“An invaluable facility.” QC
“Wonderful to be able to use my Library albeit pared down – well done to library staff for putting this together so beautifully!” IT Bencher
“This is a very comfortable and well-run space.” QC
“Not expecting it to be this comprehensive resource-wise.” Barrister
Here is a selection of the questions we have been asked about the temporary Library at 10 Fetter Lane.
NB: The answer to all these questions is YES.
- Are the same current textbooks, law reports and journals available as before?
- Is the enquiry service still available?
- Is the current Commonwealth collection available?
- Is there the same access to subscription databases such as Lexis and Westlaw as before?
- Can I print from the databases?
- Will my existing photocopying/scanning account still work?
- Do you have Wi-Fi?
- Are you continuing to provide a document supply service?
- Can I borrow books overnight, as a barrister?
- Is the Library open in the evenings? (Monday to Thursday open until 8pm, and 7pm on Friday.)
- Are you still participating in the Saturday opening rota with the other Inns?
- Can non-current material be retrieved from the Littleton Basement? (NB the old editions that were formerly housed in the Gallery are on open access at 10 Fetter Lane.)
- Does the temporary library provide a quiet working space?
- Does the library have reader places? (There are 24 reader places at single, two-seater and four-seater tables, as you prefer.)
- Are your legal research training sessions continuing?